Match Report

Reserves end 2018 with a whimper but plenty to look forward to in 2019

By 2nd January 2019 No Comments


Saturday 29th December 2018, 2pm kick off – Grange Sports & Social Club, Warrington


Smith 45, 72 (pen)


Cairns (pen) 56
Evans 60


Poynton Reserves extended their unbeaten league run to eleven games but failed to put in a good end of year performance against Moore United on Saturday.

With Luke Jones given his chance in the First Team, Charlie Gregory replaced him at centre half, Marcus Graham was back from injury and replaced Matt Tattler who was unavailable and Callum Evans was also back with Stokoe dropping to the bench.

Poynton started well, Gregory hit a free kick which Goldrick took and found Cairns in space, he beat the keeper but the ball agonisingly hit the post and was scrambled clear.

The home sides first opening came after a rash foul from Heath gave them a free kick on the edge of the box but the shot was straight at Clancy.

Moore’s direct style wasn’t pretty but very effective and they were on top with Poynton unable to string two passes together in a frustrating opening. When they finally did the chance opened up for Alfie Jones but he fired wide.

Clancy was then on hand to make a great save from a Moore corner and from the resulting set-piece when he was beaten Pullen was on hand to clear of the line.

Evans was shown a yellow after several fouls and a coming together between Heath and the Moore winger resulted in the referee speaking with both players.

Leavy had the ball in the net but was wrongly punished for offside and with the final act of the first half the home side finally took the lead their performance has deserved.

Poor defending allowed Smith to walk into the box and force Clancy into a great save and with no-one reacting other that the Moore striker he finished with ease to give the home side a half-time lead.

HT: Moore United Res 1 Poynton Res 0

There had to be a reaction from the visitors but they were rocked with an early injury to winger Marcus Graham, Stokoe replacing him on the left.

Stokoe was involved straight away, a great ball to Cairns inside the area but the striker fired over.

Poynton were now on top, Pullen fed a great ball down the line to Goldrick, he took the ball past his man who clipped him and gave the referee no option but to award the penalty. Cairns stepped up to fire home the equaliser.

It got better for the visitors, more good passing, Leavy burst through and despite being forced wide by the keeper kept his nerve to feed the ball back in to the area into the path of Evans who smashed the ball past the keeper to give Poynton a 2-1 lead.

The home side reacted well, a quick break and shot hitting the bar before bouncing to safety, from the counter Alfie Jones should have done better but fired over the bar.

Merrygold and Heminsley replaced Leavy and Goldrick and combined to set up Stokoe but his shot was blocked and Evans couldn’t beat the keeper.

The home side controversially equalised on 72 minutes, Rashleigh penalised for a tackle in the box but a clear dive conned the referee and Smith fired home his second of the game from the spot.

The game became very scrappy in the final fifteen both teams had players booked for bad fouls and Pullen nearly won it in injury time but his header was ruled out for offside.

The points shared, probably just about the right result but a disappointing way to end the year.

“We weren’t good today” said manager Jon Hudson after the game. “But we end the year 11 games unbeaten in the league and it’s been a good 2018 for us. We have a strong squad and I know that we will improve, the lads all know today wasn’t good enough and we will put it right next week”.

FT: Moore United Res 2 Poynton Res 2


Poynton Reserves: Clancy, Pullen, Heath, Evans, Rashleigh, Gregory, Goldrick (Heminsley), A Jones, Cairns, Leavy (Merrygold), Graham (Stokoe)


Charlie Gregory

Replacing Luke Jones was never going to be easy but Gregory had a solid game at centre back, put under pressure by the busy Moore United forwards.