Saturday 19th September 2020



Allen 36

Johnson sent off 70


Ratican o.g 1
McWilliams 24, 67
Burgess 87

Poynton suffered a third straight defeat after a frustrating performance against Greenalls PSO at Poynton Sports Club on Saturday.

Following the heavy defeat at FC St Helens, manager Jon Hudson again made changes to the side. In came Ratican, Morris, Johnson, Toole and a fit-again Chris Allen.

The mood before the game was good but the home side got off to a disastrous start falling behind after just 90 seconds. Tom Ratican turning the ball past his own keeper after a quick Greenalls break.

Poynton tried to react quickly, winning a couple of free kicks, Rob Stokoe looking lively on the left-hand side.

Chris Allen back in the Poynton side after a nearly a year out created a good chance for himself with a clever turn but his shot was blocked.

Ratican and Johnson combined well from a throw in and Jason Leach raced clear but with a tight angle fired over with a left footed drive.

Against the run of play Poynton fell 2-0 down but the goal should not have stood. The flick header put McWilliams through but he was clearly offside as he looped the ball over Rigby.

The goal deflated the home side as luck continued to pass them by. The visitors clearly had a game plan, breaking up play with consistent fouling but they also played some good football and looked dangerous on the break.

Poynton again reacted well forcing three corners, the final one saw Toole roll a quick ball out to Allen on the edge of the box and he struck a brilliant shot into the top corner to bring Poynton back into the game.

Burgess, the Greenalls number 6 was a serial offender, another poor tackle on Johnson followed by another telling off from the referee.

MacDougall went close with a shot from the edge of the box at the half ended with the game hanging in the balance.

More injury woes for Poynton followed, Tom Ratican was forced off with a groin injury at half time and faces a month on the side-line – Marek Heath replaced him.

HT: Poynton 1 Greenalls PSO 2

Poynton started the half well but the final ball again let them down. Poor passing almost gifted Greenalls a third goal but Rigby saved well with his feet low down.

The game was hanging in the balance, neither side was able to create any real openings with both midfields battling hard for possession but the game hinged on a controversial 5 minutes that saw the game swing in favour of the visitors.

Ben Jackson replaced Chris Allen and was clearly fouled but the game was allowed to continue which then saw Johnson and a Greenalls midfield collide in the midfield, Johnson took offence to the tackle and seemed to kick out at the player, the referee booked the Poynton captain.

From the free kick, Poynton won and lost possession very quickly and from the right hand side a cut back found the impressive McWilliams in space to guide the ball home to give Greenalls a 3-1 lead.

From the kick the ball broke to the right hand side, picked up by Matt Toole who was taken out by a horrible dangerous tackle – deemed by the officials only punishable by a yellow card.

Then another bad tackle on Johnson provoked a reaction which the linesmen felt was aggressive play and the skipper was shown a second yellow card and sent off.

Burgess was at it again with another foul on Toole and Poynton were starting to get frustrated with the game. Hough and Wright replaced Pullen and MacDougall to try and freshen up the game.

Finally the referee had seen enough, Burgess picked up a yellow card after another late tackle on Luke Jones.

Despite the number disadvantage the home side continued to try and create openings. Jackson and Hough working well to create an opening for Leach but he couldn’t hit the target.

With three minutes to go, Callum Burgess had the last laugh, seizing on poor defending to fire home.

A late corner should have resulted in a consolation goal but Jones headed wide.

FT: Poynton 1 Greenalls PSO 4


After the game manager Jon Hudson spoke to about the game.

Another defeat for the side and another frustrating day?

Very frustrating, I have to give them credit for having a game plan and taking their chances but are disappointed with the result.

We wanted a reaction after the FC St Helens game last week and we wanted to started quickly which we did but then to concede an own goal after 90 seconds all the planning goes out of the window.

The second goal is an error from the linesman, he missed the header from their player and I was pleased with the reaction form the lads and we scored a great goal to get back in the game.

Did you feel you would get back into the game in the second half?

I did, but we weren’t good enough in that opening passage of play and they managed the game very well.

Then we had a crazy 5 minutes that changed the game – how did you analyse that?

It all starts when the foul on Ben Jackson isn’t given – that was a poor decision and it all unravels after that. We’re poor for the goal, bad positioning and make it too easy. The foul on Tooley is a red card all day – it was late and high and dangerous – how it’s not a red card I don’t know.

The red card for DJ is harsh as the officials completely missed the tackle on him.

Greenalls came with a game plan to break the game up and try and slow things down with consistent fouls. Their 6 has committed 5/6 all game – he deserved their man of the match as he’s done the job he’s asked to do!

A great goal from Chris Allen – how good is it to have him back?

It was a superb strike at a really important stage of the game. Chris is one of the best players in the league and he’ll get better and better as the season goes on.

A huge game next week against Egerton?

It’s game 4 of a 32 game season, with all the changes we’ve made we are still confident with this group. Not many clubs will have gone through what we have in pre-season and lads need time, we need that little bit of luck and we will work hard this week to prepare for another tough game.

POST MATCH is sponsored by CANALSIDE RADIO – Award-winning Community Media for North East Cheshire on 102.8FM and online