Poynton v Crewe

By 3rd November 2018 No Comments
2 - 2
Full Time

Match Report

Poynton first team came into the game at home to Crewe hoping to extend the recent run to 5 straight wins. 

Manager, Hurst fielded a much changed squad as he was left without regulars Ward, Quinn, Toole, Manson, Kennerley and Mccurrie. This handed a great opportunity of first team action for Leach, Evans and Stokoe all having impressed for the reserves in recent games.

Crewe had the better of the early stages and looked a threat with Southern leading the line well. A direct ball up to Southern was misjudged by the Poynton back line allowing the Crewe skipper the opportunity to run in behind and hit an early left footed strike across Nicholl and into the far corner, 0-1!

Poynton were struggling to get settled into the game and shortly after, Southern broke through once again this time hitting a right footed strike, which Nicholl did well to parry away from the following up forward.

A third early scare for Poynton came from a corner as the ball was looped over Nicholl but he some how managed to recover and claw the ball back from crossing the line.

That was a big turning point in the momentum of the game as Poynton appeared to step up a gear and create chances of their own.

Mathers was looking razor sharp, breaking clear in the channel but his early shot was not up to his usual standard and the Crewe keeper saved comfortably.

We didn’t have to wait long for the Poynton breakthrough and it came through that man Mathers again. A Crewe goal kick was met brilliantly by the head of Oakes who directed it straight into the path of Mathers who raced clear to fire a left footed half volley past the Crewe keeper, 1-1

Mathers full of confidence hit 2 more first time attempts from distance, unfortunately the second resulting in him straining his groin. He tried to play through it for a couple of minutes but it was no good and was forced to be withdrawn. Player Manager Hurst came onto replace him with 10 minutes remaining of the first half.

HT: Poynton 1 Crewe 1

Poynton playing into the wind, knew it was going to be a tough second half, however, it was Poynton who had the better of the early part of the half.

Burgess slotted a ball into Hurst’s feet who turned his marker. His shot sent the keeper the wrong way but he managed to save with his feet to deflect wide for a corner.

Poynton tried to exploit the space behind Crewe’s high line and Challinor clipped a perfectly weighted pass to Hurst who then laid it off to Burgess on the overlap. Burgess struck left footed and the keeper palmed the ball out to Hurst who followed up to put the home side into the lead. 2-1

Poynton quickly had another chance to extend the lead. Oakes played a forward ball to Hurst who flicked on into Burgess’ path but the Crewe keeper was onto him quickly and blocked the attempted looped shot.

Momentum gradually turned again and Poynton struggled to keep the ball up the pitch resulting in more and more pressure on their back 4

As the game went on, it looked like Poynton were going to grind out another 3 points but in the dying moments a ball was crossed into the back post and the Crewe forward pounced from 5 yards to snatch a valuable point for the away side.

It was tough to take for the Poynton side but credit to Crewe who competed well and fairly and got their rewards at the end.

That’s now 7 unbeaten in the league for Poynton placing them second in the league just a point behind next week’s opponents Middlewich Town.

FT: Poynton 2 Crewe 2