Poynton Res v Orford Res

By 6th October 2018 No Comments
2 - 1
Full Time

Match Report

Two goals in six minutes at the start of the second half from striker Luke Leavy was enough to give Poynton Reserves a comfortable victory over Orford Reserves to extend their unbeaten run to five games.

There were recalls from Adam Clancy, Chris Rashlegh and Charlie Gregory in a defensive reshuffle and with Orford arriving late there was a slight late kick off but after a day of rain previously the sunshine greeted the two teams as they walked out onto the pitch.

It was a slow start to the game with the visitors starting better, Poynton looking off the pace, they seemed low on energy, the game was a midfield battle with no real chances being created.

On 29 minutes Poynton should have been awarded a penalty for a clear handball but the referee didn’t get a clear view of the incident.

Finally with the first half ending Poynton finally sprung into live, Goldrick and Heaton combining well to force a corner, from the corner Cairns got free from his marker and sent his header crashing against the bar.

With the final play of the half, Evans showed great skill to create space on the edge of the box but couldn’t get his shot on target.

HT: Poynton Res 0 Orford Reserves 0

The second half started in the same way, Cairns went close after being played in by Leavy and Heaton fired over the bar after good work by Evans.

On 51 minutes the deadlock was finally broken, brilliant pressing by Goldrick set up Leavy in the area who fired past the keeper to give Poynton the lead.

Moments later it was 2-0 and it was the same combination again involved, Goldrick pounced on a poor kick from the Orford keeper and fed Leavy who once again showed his compose in the box to score his fourth goal in his fourth game for the club.

Poynton now had complete control but couldn’t turn possession into goals. Stokoe replaced Graham and Pullen replaced Gregory at right-back.

The game started to get scrappy, both teams having players booked and not a lot of further chances came for the home side.

With 90 minutes up Orford pulled a goal back with their first shot of the day, memories of the Daten game flashed back and when Jones was adjudged to have fouled the Orford player on the edge of the box there was a sharp intake of breath but Clancy claimed the ball and the points were won.

FT: Poynton Res 2 Orford Reserves 1