Poynton v Greenalls PSO

By 1st September 2018 No Comments
1 - 2
Full Time

Match Report

Poynton suffered their most disappointing result and performance of the season as they slumped to a 2-1 defeat at home to Greenalls.

Having recently appointed a new management team, Greenalls fielded a new look side to the one that lost to Poynton just 2 weeks earlier in the reverse fixture.

Hurst made 3 changes to the Poynton team that drew at Whaley Bridge, bringing in Scott Wright, Nick Challinor and Mark Faulkner.

Both sets of players looked lethargic in the legs, which made for a very flat first half. Maybe the 8 league games in August was finally taking effect on both teams. However, Poynton were still the better side and created several clear cut chances, which should have given them a comfortable lead going into halftime. The Greenalls keeper who impressed in the away fixture was on fine form again saving well from both Faulkner, Simpson and Allen, which accompanied a shot wide from Bowey from 6 yards. Late on in the half, Morris got on the end a long throw from Manson but the fullback was well placed to volley clear.

HT: Poynton 0 Greenalls 0

The second half started with Greenalls the better side, Poynton were unable to get the ball in behind the Greenalls defence and chances were limited. Kennerley and Burgess replaced Faulkner and Manson in an attempt to bring some fresh legs and energy into the game. The change was close to having an instant impact as Kennerley broke through the Greenalls defence, as the ball sat up, he chose to hit a well stuck first time volley but it was hit at a comfortable height for the Greenalls keeper who parried it away to safety.

Finally the breakthrough came for Poynton, a deep cross from Scott Wright found Burgess who clinically fired home on the volley, 1-0!

Up to that point, there was a feeling that after the first goal, the floodgates would open but it wasn’t to be! Bowey fired in a low shot, which was parried straight out Kennerley who had a simple task of firing low into the Greenalls net only for the keeper to get himself up and complete a brilliant double save to keep his team alive.

As typical with so many football matches, the squandered chances came back to haunt Poynton. Greenalls still had a game to fight for and having won a corner with 6 minutes to go, captain, Mark Hughes, sent a looping header over Ward and into the back of the net, 1-1.

Poynton were suddenly on the ropes and hanging on to what would have been a disappointing point only for things to get worse. In the closing minutes, two failed clearances gave the Greenalls forward a chance to grab the winner and it was a very well taken finish struck with his left foot across Ward into the far corner of the net, 1-2. There was no way back for Poynton who now looked dead on their feet and Greenalls clinched the points.

Credit to Greenalls players and management after a rocky start to the season, they never stopped fighting for each other and took their chances.

FT: Poynton 1 Greenalls 2