Crewe v Poynton

By 22nd September 2018 No Comments
3 - 3
Full Time

Match Report

Poynton first team travelled to the Cumberland Arena on Saturday hoping to get their first win at Crewe in at least the last 4 seasons (memory record book doesn’t go back any further)

Poynton were without first choice left back, Quinn and other absentees Burgess, Bowey and Challinor. Poynton welcomed back to the squad, club captain Jake Wright, August player of the month, Jamie Manson and new signing Greg Mathers (forward) was handed a place on the substitutes bench.

Poynton started the game in fine form, the wide slick playing surface suited the team’s pass and move style. The game didn’t have to wait long for the breakthrough as Poynton worked an excellent team goal from back to front. Morris who impressed in his unfamiliar right back position picked up a loose ball and fed it into Leach. He then moved the ball quickly onto Kennerley who worked a clever one-two with strike partner Simpson. Kennerley calmly faced the keeper one on one and slotted into the bottom left corner. 0-1.

Poynton continued to take the game to Crewe and created more and more chances. Simpson rattled the bar with a header before being denied by the keeper at point blank range as he turned and struck a half volley from 6 yards.

Crewe were still battling hard and looked a threat on the break, captain Southern up front was always looking for his opportunity to let fly.

Leading up to halftime, Crewe edged it as Poynton found a sticky patch. However, looking threatening on set pieces, Allen put in a dangerous corner which Morris met perfectly at the back post to head back across for Kennerley to fire in a poachers goal from 2 yards. 0-2.

Halftime: Crewe 0 Poynton 2.

As expected, with nothing to lose, Crewe came out of the traps fast and threw bodies further forward. A goal kick from Ward was intercepted by the Crewe right winger and with Poynton players out of position, Crewe took the opportunity to counter attack. The ball was played perfectly in behind the Poynton back 4 for Southern to run onto, as O’Regan came out to meet him, Southern clipped a really well taken finish into the bottom far corner of the Poynton goal. 1-2

As often happens, the goal turned the momentum of the game and gave Crewe something to fight for. Crewe continued to throw their wide players high and Poynton were careless in possession going forward which allowed Crewe to build the pressure on Poynton’s back 4.

Hurst made 2 changes in attempt to switch the momentum, bringing on Mathers and Manson to replace Oakes and Leach.

Mathers got straight into the action, a ball from Toole on the right found Mathers on the left edge of the box, Kennerley made a well timed run outside of him and Mathers found him with the pass. Kennerley hit a first time cross into the box which struck the Crewe right back on the arm from close range and the referee gave what looked to be a harsh penalty kick. No time for sympathy though as Simpson waited for the Crewe complaints to calm down before hammering home from 12 yards, 1-3.

By now the points should have been safely in the bag with Crewe looking deflated and Poynton looking strong going forward, however……

Crewe continued to put the pressure on, sticking with their 4-2-4 formation and Southern found space on the edge of the Poynton box to hit a finely struck shot into the bottom left corner of the net. Game on! 2-3.

The pressure was building more and more and credit to Crewe, they never gave up on the points, in the last 5 minutes a ball went over the Poynton back 4 into the left channel for a Crewe forward to bear down on O’Regan and clinically buried the ball into the corner of the Poynton goal 3-3.

The game was now on a knife edge and both teams had a chance to win it at the death, a header from Crewe 6 yards out went wide and Morris broke forward for Poynton only for his cross-shot to go in between the far post and the incoming forwards.

Frustrating dropped points for Poynton but arguably the best football the team has played since mid August.  Full credit to Crewe who never let their heads drop all game. A good match for the spectators.

Full time: Crewe 3 Poynton 3