Congleton Vale v Poynton

By 8th August 2018 No Comments
1 - 3
Full Time

Match Report

Poynton first team bounced back in style on Tuesday night with an impressive 3-1 win away at Congleton Vale.  Poynton have now managed back to back wins at Booth Street following their emphatic 4-1 win last season.

Manager Hurst, made only one change to Saturday’s starting eleven, bringing in Andy Oakes for the injured Rubin Kennerley.  Poynton added 3 debutants to make up a strong looking bench in Ryan Stewart, Tom Bowey and ex Macclesfield Town forward Jay Burgess.

Congleton had the better of the early stages, appearing to have more control in midfield and overloading Poynton down their right side. However, the early pressure didn’t lead to any clear cut chances and Poynton slowly grew into the game.  With Black always looking the obvious outlet for the away side, he picked up a loose ball just inside the Congleton half and ran at his fullback, he cut inside his marker an unleashed a 20 yard strike into the far corner of the Congleton goal, 0-1!

Midway through the first half, the unfortunate Hough picked up a nasty ankle injury in a tackle and was forced to be replaced by Burgess and required Poynton to shuffle the pack with the versatile Garvey dropping into Centre Half.

The changes set Poynton back and momentum swung back in Congleton’s favour.  More Congleton pressure led to Poynton captain Wright having to bring down the left winger providing the home side with a free kick in a dangerous position.  The free kick went in deep to the Poynton back post and with no defenders taking responsibility to head clear, the ball was headed back across goal allowing a simple tap in for Vale from 2 yards.

HT: Congleton Vale 1 Poynton 1

Poynton came out for the second half with an increased tempo and a clear game plan to feed the wingers at every opportunity.  The impressive Black was a constant threat down the left hand side and with the ball holding up against the subtle Booth Street bank, it appeared to be playing into his hands.  A deep ball was clipped straight into Black’s path who looked to get straight at his marker, as he jinked into the penalty box, the right back committed himself too early and brought down Black for an unquestionable penalty.  Poynton stalwart, Simpson stepped up and fired home from 12 yards giving the keeper no chance.

Hurst introduced winger Bowey to replace Faulkner down the right to offer another fresh outlet and with the midfield trio of Manson, Oakes and Burgess always looking to switch the play to either wing, Congleton were struggling to handle Poynton’s attacking threat.

The 3rd goal for Poynton was inevitable with Congleton clearly on the back foot and it was Black again who found space down the left, breezed past his marker and pulled the ball back for the late arrival of Burgess to fire in a debut goal from inside the box.

At this point, Congleton’s right back decided he had seen enough of Black’s heels and signalled to be bought off.  His replacement clearly came on with one instruction to put stud marks on Black’s ankles in which he succeeded in 2 late tackles, which went unpunished.  The first one in the box after Black got his shot away and one on the halfway line, which was so late that the ref had already turned his back on the play.

Poynton had a further penalty late on as the impressive Burgess was clipped from behind as he went to pull the trigger.  No penalty given but by then the points appeared safe and Poynton closed the game off professionally.

A well needed win for Poynton to kick start what promises to be a good season for the London Road side.

FT: Congleton Vale 1 Poynton 3